Mazda’s local arm has announced that, for each new car it sells, it will plant five trees in conjunction with environmental group Trees That Count. The move is designed to partially offset the exhaust emissions issued by vehicles locally.
Mazda has made several steps this year designed to embed itself as being an environmentally forward company. It pledged that all of its models will be electrified by 2030. And it launched its first fully electric vehicle; the MX-30 EV.
“Native trees not only sequester CO2 from the atmosphere, but they also provide thriving habitats for native birds, improve water quality in water ways, and provide beautiful places for future generations to explore,” says Mazda New Zealand.
“Every native tree planted in NZ helps to restore and enhance our environment, for biodiversity, for climate change.
“By 2030, every new model in the Mazda line-up will feature different kinds and degrees of
electrification, with 75 percent of the cars sporting electrified ICEs and BEVs making up the other 25 percent.
“Additionally, Mazda is pursuing the development of alternative fuels, such as e-fuels. Since it is not the engine, but the fuel the engine burns that stores and releases carbon, this would allow for internal combustion engines to become completely carbon neutral.”
Alongside the news Mazda New Zealand confirmed the arrival of the new MX-30 Limited mild hybrid; a new $46,790 entry-point to the brand’s electrified line-up.
It comes with Mazda’s SkyActiv-G petrol four-cylinder engine producing 114kW of power and 200Nm of torque, paired to an integrated starter generator and a 24-volt battery. Mazda rates its consumption figures at 6.4L/100km combined.