Transport Minister Michael Wood has confirmed that the government’s second phase of Clean Car Discount legislation has been delayed until April 1, 2022.
The decision pushes out the introduction of proposed levies to high-emission vehicles (such as utes), as well as the introduction of discounts to low-emission pure petrol and hybrid vehicles by an extra three months.
Wood confirmed that the Clean Car Discount scheme as it currently stands, with its rebates of up to $8,625 for new and used plug-in vehicles, will remain in place unabated until March 31, 2022.
“Due to the disruption caused by the current delta outbreak, the expanded Clean Car Discount rebates and fees will begin from April 1,” said Wood.
“This will help give the industry more time to gear up, and the current rebates on electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles will continue until March 31.”
The news comes following yesterday’s successful first reading of the Land Transport Amendment Bill, which includes the Clean Car Discount and Clean Car Standard schemes.
The bill passed despite recent criticism from the Motor Industry Association (MIA). In a release issued last week, the MIA said the aforementioned bill “demonstrated an appalling lack of understanding of how to effectively reduce emissions from the light vehicle fleet.”
“The clean vehicles bill passing its first reading means we’re another step closer to meeting our climate goals and fulfilling our manifesto commitment to implement the clean car import standard,” Wood added.
“Countries and manufacturers around the world are shifting to cleaner cars, so we have to move quickly to stop us becoming a dumping ground for the world’s dirtiest vehicles. […] It also helps bring us into line with most other countries in the OECD that already have import-emissions standards.”